[AR] Re: 500,000 tons per year to GEO (off topic)

  • From: Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 13:04:33 -0800

"number of hidden assumptions"

It's a short article.  There is a book's worth of material out on the
net that answers (as best I can) your objections.

"or whoever would ever get approval"

I doubt the question would ever come up.  If this is done, it will be
China, the EU or the US doing it.  They might sort out the control
issues among them, but there really isn't anyone who can give
permission.  The launch path has to be along the equator and over
water.  There are only a few good locations.

If the middle east could supply dollar a gallon gasoline, this project
would never have come up.  As it is, the mid east may be one of the
larger customers and possibly have a big hand in the financing.

As for "single-point-of-failure" a rectenna is no worse than a solar
farm, and nobody worries about those being targets.  True, you could
take one out with a megaton weapon, but it's hardly a terrorist
target.