[AR] Re: 500,000 tons per year to GEO (off topic)

  • From: marsbeyond@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 22:42:33 -0700

Henry,

Yes it is a more complicated problem to recover the second stage. But it is an
evolutionary challenge, not a revolutionary one. SpaceX is simply adding
Attitude Control Systems to all stages. It really is simple actually! It's been
there all the time! It is the "holy grail" that rocket scientists have been
looking for for fifty years! Re-usability thru propulsive recovery! It's such a
stupidly simple minded idea! It's actually a brilliant implementation of the
KISS principle. I used to think was an antiquated idea from schlocky 1950's
sci-fi flicks.

Everyone THINKS it requires an excessive amount of fuel!

IT DOES NOT!

Serendipity is wonderful! Cassiopeia was almost recovered! It was only going
~100 mph when it hit the Pacific! Somehow it developed a wicked ACCIDENTAL spin
that starved the center engine during the final seconds of the flight!

Then It hit me! The AHA MOMENT! What if you INDUCE A SPIN OF THE SECOND STAGE
FOR GYROSCOPIC STABILITY just PRIOR to RE-ENTRY! You save a tremendous of of
fuel preventing adverse unintended tumbling and adverse unintended spin! Then
after the high temp portion of re-entry, you simply DESPIN THE STAGE to settle
the fuel in the bottom of the tanks!

(OR YOU COULD RETAIN ACTIVE CONTROL OVER THE STAGE the entire time with your
second stage ACS rockets, whichever option requires less fuel!)

It's so freakin simple! It's elegant! And it's been in front of our noses the
whole time!

When the Falcon 9R and Falcon 9HR recover all stages and the capsule, the price
of going to LEO DROPS TO 4%! (FUEL COSTS!) That works out to less than $80 a
pound! I was giving them a generous 20% profit margin and rounding up to $100 a
pound to LEO!

Sent from my iPhone