Re: [ARMini-support] ARMini OS 4 update release - 1Ghz and faster boot

  • From: Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:14:26 +0100

In article <b6f4088552.rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks to support for the SmartReflex power management, ARMini OS 4
> allows the CPU to reach speeds of 1Ghz (1000Mhz) compared to the
> 800Mhz speed of previous releases.  That's a 20% speedup of your
> computer for free!  Not bad, eh?  Indeed, the lead programmer
> reported 25% speed increases in some tests, although I'm taking
> that with a pinch of salt.

> Not only that, but due to optimisation of the memory system, your
> computer will boot faster, too!  We've shaved between 10 and 20
> seconds off the startup time for this release.

> There are also improvements to audio quality/volume and CDFS / CD
> handling.

Yes - I think a big vote of thanks should go to *Jeffrey Lee* in
particular who has done almost all this work. I think there is a lot
more to come for all hardware running RISC OS 5.

Since I installed the Apr 17th ROM version last week, things have
been fine operating at the higher speed. Remember that the new OS has
the filecore memory leak fixed so a fully functional !NewIcons can
again be used.

I have also been running a little CPUtemperature app to monitor any
heat effects. When the ARMini is idling, the cpu temperature is below
50C. When running flat out ie the cpu usage is effectively 100% for
some seconds eg rendering a large complex web page or processing a
large image, the temperature rises to about 61C. Since the BB specs
give an ambient operating temperature range of 0-85C, then there is
little danger in using the higher speed.

By the way, !TaskUsage will give an indication of how hard the cpu is
working.

--
        Chris Johnson