Re: [ARMini-support] ARMini OS 4 update release - 1Ghz and faster boot

  • From: Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 12:02:51 +0100

In message <b6f4088552.rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
       A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I can finally unveil the worst kept secret in ARMini history - OS
> Update 4, with 1Ghz support for your little friend :)
>
> Thanks to support for the SmartReflex power management, ARMini OS 4
> allows the CPU to reach speeds of 1Ghz (1000Mhz) compared to the
> 800Mhz speed of previous releases.  That's a 20% speedup of your
> computer for free!  Not bad, eh?  Indeed, the lead programmer reported
> 25% speed increases in some tests, although I'm taking that with a
> pinch of salt.
>
> Not only that, but due to optimisation of the memory system, your
> computer will boot faster, too!  We've shaved between 10 and 20
> seconds off the startup time for this release.
>
> There are also improvements to audio quality/volume and CDFS / CD
> handling.

After a brief hiatus caused by not reading all the outstanding messages
on the mailing list carefully enough...

I've successfully upgraded to 5.19. However, I had to reconfigure
Network access - for various historical reasons, I still used a fixed
IP network rather than DHCP, and when I booted into 5.19 it had the IP
address setting as "From hostname" rather than "Manual". After fixing
this and rebooting, it all works.

In fact, not only does it all work, but a long-standing issue I had
with Sunfish (NFS client that I use to access a NAS) seems to have gone
away. Although the actual Sunfish s/w worked once the machine had
booted, it wouldn't automatically remount the remote discs on a reboot.
I'd put this down to the network not being fully up by the time
that Sunfish was run.

However, under 5.19 all the saved mounts appear on boot, which is
another nice improvement to add to the others.

--
Nick Roberts           tigger @ orpheusinternet.co.uk

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.