[ARMini-support] ARMini OS 4 update release - 1Ghz and faster boot

  • From: A Rawnsley <rcomp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: armini-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 18:59:09 +0100

Hello everyone!

I can finally unveil the worst kept secret in ARMini history - OS
Update 4, with 1Ghz support for your little friend :)

Thanks to support for the SmartReflex power management, ARMini OS 4
allows the CPU to reach speeds of 1Ghz (1000Mhz) compared to the
800Mhz speed of previous releases.  That's a 20% speedup of your
computer for free!  Not bad, eh?  Indeed, the lead programmer reported
25% speed increases in some tests, although I'm taking that with a
pinch of salt.

Not only that, but due to optimisation of the memory system, your
computer will boot faster, too!  We've shaved between 10 and 20
seconds off the startup time for this release.

There are also improvements to audio quality/volume and CDFS / CD
handling.

The update is available now on the ARMini downloads site at the usual
address.  Today, we're calling it "beta" pending feedback, but all
being well I'll be removing that tag later in the week.  So, if you're
un-sure, feel free to wait a week.

Anyway, the update is working fine here, and will be on shipping
machines at the show this weekend.

Important - we recommend that you have OS Update 3 installed and
working prior to OS Update 4.  It isn't strictly necessary, but it is
probably sensible.

Best wishes,

Andrew

--
R-Comp
22 Robert Moffat, High Legh, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 6PS