[argyllcms] Re: targen and profile

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:41:24 +1100

Lorenzo Ridolfi wrote:

I'm building a profile for an Epson Pro 3800 and Ultrasmooth paper. I already made one with PM 5.0 and I'd like to use this profile as an input to targen adaptive algorithm. The normal advice is use -A 0.5. But if I'm using a good profile as input, a higher value is recommended ?

No, it's not clear that it helps (but then it's not clear that the adaptive
algorithm helps either.) Higher values of adaptation make the results
more "fragile" - you really want some minimal density of sampling,
and a value of 0.5 or so establishes that.

Another question I have is how many patches should I use? I'm thinking about 1500. Any experience in this particular scenario ?

It depends on what your doing, and what you're after. Using more points
is going to have far more effect than switching from the default
point distribution algorithm to adaptive. Presumably this is an output
profile, and I'm guessing you're running in RGB mode. 1500 is probably
not bad for RGB, but more is pretty much always better. There's no
point using small increments though, you probably want to increase the
number of patches by 50-100% to expect to see any noticeable
difference, but the overall accuracy will always depend on the weakest
link (ie. input profile, viewing conditions, etc., if the output profile
is pretty good).