[argyllcms] Re: targen and profile

  • From: Lorenzo Ridolfi <lorenzo@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 01:14:15 -0200

Graeme Gill wrote:
Presumably this is an output profile, and I'm guessing you're running in RGB mode.
Yes, it's RGB mode.
1500 is probably not bad for RGB, but more is pretty much always better. There's no
point using small increments though, you probably want to increase the
number of patches by 50-100% to expect to see any noticeable
difference
My concern in using a large number of patches was to introduce noise in the measurement and reduce the profile quality in smoothness and tone transitions. Based on your advice, Argyll CMS does have some smoothing algorithm to reduce noise caused by excessive patches. Am I correct ?

A last question: By using a large number of patches, I understand the adaptive patch placement algorithm is less effective. I'm starting to believe that the adaptive may cause more harm than good in the profile generation (in the case of a large number of patches) and not using it, I'm eliminating a variable to be tested in the profile process. Am I correct ?

Thank you,
Lorenzo