[argyllcms] Re: stupid question

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 09:25:40 +1100

Konstantin Svist wrote:
Adjust R,G & B gain to desired white point. Press space when done.
Initial Br 99.38, x 0.3543 , y 0.3838 , VDT 4577K DE 2K 10.8

I was kind of expecting the R, G & B metrics to be updated on the fly,
but looks like it's only the white
Plus, I'm not familiar with the terminology and methodology yet.. what
are the X Y and Z on these?

XYZ are the CIE standard observer color coordinates measured by the instrument.
They are device independent, and correspond to a model of how we perceive color
in a particular viewing condition. The idea is that two colors with the same XYZ
will look the same.

There are many other special purpose coordinate systems derived from CIE XYZ.

One is Yxy, where the x & y represent the hue & purity location, independent of
the brightness. They are often used to specify a particular white point.

Another way of specifying a white point is a particular location on a
1 dimensional temperature locus, such as black body or daylight locus.

In the above, I think that you have not specified a target white point,
so there is no goal and hence no guidance as to how to reach a goal.
You are in "free choice" mode.

You need to specify a white point in the arguments, either as a xy coordinate
(that you might have read from another display, or looked up somewhere),
or as a black body or daylight locus temperature, and then you will be
given guidance on which way to move R,G & B.