[argyllcms] Re: stupid question

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 17:27:47 +0200

Am 22.10.2010 16:41, schrieb Pascal de Bruijn:

>> Best is to use the on screen controls build into the monitor as a
>> first means.
>>
> Is it? I usually tend to default all my screens and set them to a
> equal RGB white point, so that in theory the screen does absolutely
> nothing with the signal...
>
> Otherwise you'd have both the argyll transforming your color via the
> VideoLUT and then the screen digitally on top of that...
>
> Or am I mistaken?

Well, it's not transparent to the the user what the controls of the
various monitors really do,  whether they operate in the analog or
digital domain, and in in the latter case, at which precision. So it is
hard to say in general.

LED backlights could certainly offer the opportunity to change the white
point by controlling the power of the the red, green and blue backlight
LEDs individually, w/o losing any levels in the digital domain. In this
case it makes definitively sense to set the WP with the monitor controls
and not via VCGT.

Still it is the question whether all manufacturers have realized their
LED displays in this way, or whether some low-cost LED displays possibly
just replace the CCFL backlight by a LED backlight with a fixed color,
keeping all the other electronics in the display as is, i.e. as it was
designed for the CCFL backlight?

Regards,
Gerhard