[argyllcms] Re: stupid question

  • From: Sam Berry <samkberry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 16:48:09 +0100

On 22 October 2010 16:27, Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 22.10.2010 16:41, schrieb Pascal de Bruijn:
> >
> >> Best is to use the on screen controls build into the monitor as a
> >> first means.
> >>
> > Is it? I usually tend to default all my screens and set them to a
> > equal RGB white point, so that in theory the screen does absolutely
> > nothing with the signal...
> >
> > Otherwise you'd have both the argyll transforming your color via the
> > VideoLUT and then the screen digitally on top of that...
> >
> > Or am I mistaken?
> >

> Well, it's not transparent to the the user what the controls of the
> various monitors really do,  whether they operate in the analog or
> digital domain, and in in the latter case, at which precision. So it is
> hard to say in general.

The vast majority work in 8 bit in my experience, offering no advantage over
the video LUTs. I am not aware of any LCDs which work in the analogue
domain. Certain NECs, Dells, Eizos, Lacies and HPs offer more precision than
8-bit.

> LED backlights could certainly offer the opportunity to change the white
> point by controlling the power of the the red, green and blue backlight
> LEDs individually, w/o losing any levels in the digital domain. In this
> case it makes definitively sense to set the WP with the monitor controls
> and not via VCGT.
>
> Still it is the question whether all manufacturers have realized their
> LED displays in this way, or whether some low-cost LED displays possibly
> just replace the CCFL backlight by a LED backlight with a fixed color,
> keeping all the other electronics in the display as is, i.e. as it was
> designed for the CCFL backlight?

Most LED backlit displays use 'white' LEDs, which offer no colour changing
ability (well not intentionally). My RGB LED screen certainly allows for
changing the backlight colour, although strangely not through the OSD, which
is less than useless. I would think the only displays where the OSD allows
for changing the backlight colour are the HP 2480, the NEC 2080WG and a
Quato, and all are silly money.

> Regards,
> Gerhard

Regards,