[argyllcms] Re: Shadow detail problem

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 21:38:35 -0600

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 02:04 +0000, Alastair M. Robinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Leonard Evens wrote:
>
> > My monitor allows me to make one of three choices for gamma, but it
> > describes them just as Mode 1, Mode 2, or Mode 3.  Any suggestions about
> > what I should do to choose one?
>
> Use the Gamma and Black Level chart on this page:
> http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html
> to estimate the gamma for each of the three settings.  Before
> calibration this will only be an approximate measure.

Can't I just use dispcal -r without my vgct tag loaded?  I did that and
chose the setting---Mode 3---that seemed to give me the closest to 2.2,
but I have no idea which of the three involves the least fiddling with
the "native" video transfer curve for the monitor.

I've also checked for banding with the tool on the Dry Creek web page,
and the worst appears to be Mode 2 with Modes 1 and 3 looking about the
same.

> You could try filling the screen with a greyscale ramp - (just a
> black-to-white gradient with dithering turned off, if you use GIMP's
> gradient tool to create one), and see if any of the modes gives any less
> visible banding than the others?  If so, use that one.  Check with black
> -> red, black -> green and black -> blue too if you like.
>
> Which of the three is the "factory" setting?  I suspect that will
> probably be the best choice.

If I do Color Reset with the monitor controls, it gives me gamma mode 1,
so I suppose that is the "factory setting".  On the other hand that also
sets Contrast to 100. which is much too bright.  I read somewhere that
75 is probably about right for that, but I can't remember where.  If I
set it to 75, I get plausible luminance values like 105 cd/m^2.

It is not clear that the manufacturer has chosen default settings which
involve minimal adjustments to the "native" video curve.  I think they
aim this monitor at game players and they may set the default so as to
make those users happy without worrying about people who want to
calibrate/profile the monitor for graphics arts applications.