[argyllcms] Re: Shadow detail problem

  • From: "Dave Wagner" <dave.wagner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:11:12 -0600

> There is something I don't understand: how a profile alone can do BPC? I
> thought this could only be done by the CMM, using source and targer
> profiles...
>
> Am I missing something?

I'm not sure.  As I understand it from the color.org web page and the
gamut vrml output, the icc profile with BCP pulls black down
artificially to a luminosity of 0.

That means, if you use it for your working space, it will make shadows
darker than a "standard" sRGB profile.

color.org explains it like this:

"... Otherwise, the profile with BPC is similar to most common sRGB
ICC profiles in use.

The profile without BPC produces sRGB colorimetry in the PCS that is
more accurate to what a viewer of a sRGB calibrated display will
observe in the reference sRGB viewing conditions, especially the dark
colors and black point. It should be used in situations where greater
colorimetric accuracy is desired, such as for preview and proofing
applications, and where CMM color rendering will be applied."