[argyllcms] Re: Shadow detail problem

  • From: "Dave Wagner" <dave.wagner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 22:46:29 -0600

On Feb 1, 2008 7:00 PM, Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Frédéric Mantegazza wrote:
>
> > Well, when using a printer profile, and using soft proofing, I can see that
> > black levels are not mapped. You can compare with scribus, which has the
> > flag to turn on/off this feature...
>
> Well, if the button is on the GUI, but it doesn't do anything,
> I wonder what else doesn't work ? Intent selection perhaps ?

Nice jab :)

FWIW, I do know that the rendering intents look different on gimp,
absolute colorimetric has an distinct color cast in whites.  The CMM
in gimp, cinepaint, and ufraw all have very similar monitor output
under all 4 rendering intents (with a LUT profile built using sRGB as
the source gamut).  Cinepaint gives somewhat darker shadows than gimp
in relative colorimetric if BPC is turned off.

In Gimp, BPC is only available through the proofing filter.  And it
definitely does something.  If you turn it on under relative
colorimetric intent, it will bring out more shadow detail (at least
when proofing against the ezprints.com proofing profile).  BPC does
nothing on the other three intents.