[argyllcms] How can I tell if I'm using my profile? (and other questions)

  • From: Adrian Mariano <adrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:19:16 -0400

I ran dispcal with the -o option so as to produce a profile as output. I loaded the profile using dispwin under linux. Now I go into firefox 3 and color management is turned on. Does firefox find the profile that was loaded using dispwin? Can I observe the effects of this profile? (Am I likely to be able to see the difference between using the profile vs. just calibrating the display and not using the profile?)

As a second set of questions: my goal is simply to get colors to look "right" (good) in pictures I take with my digital camera or if I visit a web page and look at pictures of colorful merchandise, for example. I made the above profile using sRGB, but I noticed the suggestion in the documentation that perhaps a gamma of 2.4 would be a better choice? I think the last time I ran a calibration I specified a temperature of 6500 K, but this time I forgot that option, which apparently means the monitor's native white point is used. Am I better off using the native white point? How long should I expect it to take for my LCD display to stabilize? I sat down and woke it up and started looking at its brightness and it was 130 cd/m^2. I couldn't remember what I'd calibrated it to, but I new it was much higher, something more like 170 cd/m^2, I think. I sat in dispcal and watched the value creep upwards. After, oh, maybe 45 minutes it seemed somewhat stable at 166 cd/m^2, though it might have been drifting a bit still. I assume that trying to run a calibration or a profile while your display is drifting is going to give a poor result.

I am using argyll 1.03 and it appears that argyll disables the screen blanker in X but does not turn it back on when it is done.