[argyllcms] Re: How can I tell if I'm using my profile? (and other questions)

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 11:14:11 +1100

Florian Höch wrote:

Just for the sake of completeness: Regardless of what gamma you end up calibrating your monitor to, and assumed that sRGB images should be viewed with a gamma of (say) 2.4 instead of with sRGB curve, then in a colormanaged workflow you'd actually have to discard the embedded sRGB profile from the image, and embed a profile with the same primaries but a gamma of 2.4 (I hope this is not too confusing, I myself start to get a bit dizzy at the moment ;))

In a color managed workflow, the transformation from the image profile
to the display profile should properly take into account the viewing
conditions. If it does so, then it will make a similar viewing transform
to that of displaying a 2.2 gamma source on a 2.4 gamma destination.
This can be accomplished using Argyll tools by using the viewing conditions
parameters when creating profiles and/or device links (-c and -d parameters).

Note that this is only possible for cLUT base profiles, and that matrix/shaper
profiles (often used for displays), do not have the capacity to do
gamut mapping. [ It would be possible to add something like the ambient
correction feature when creating matrix/shaper profiles, although there
is no way of then accommodating the resulting profile and still retaining
the colorimetric information which is required by the ICCV2 spec. ]

Note that the (theoretical) correct way of setting up a display to be
calibrated to sRGB, is to select sRGB as a target in dispcal, but ensure
that the ambient light correction is used (either by measuring the
ambient light with your instrument (if it is capable of it), or
estimating your ambient level, and feeding it in via the -a argument)