[argyllcms] Re: Create RGB printer .ICM to use in Photoshop CS5

  • From: "Alan Goldhammer" <agoldhammer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:41:01 -0400

Wim,

I've profiled my Epson 3880 (pigment ink printer whereas the Canon printer
you have is dye based) for seven papers (combination of matte and gloss)
that I regularly print on using Argyll.  After reading Graeme's tutorial, I
went down the simpler route and did not do the calibration step so I didn't
get involved with doing that and then the subsequent printing and linking of
the two files. My profiles turned out well as judged by both the gamut map
and how they worked on a test print image (see:
http://www.outbackprint.com/printinginsights/pi049/essay.html for the test
image).  I used an 1848 patch set with an i1 pro (four letter size pages)
that included a 21 step gray wedge.  Since I print on a Win7 system and
Epson only supports 8 bit printing, my charts were prepared as 200 dpi, 8
bit TIFFs (most commercial profile solutions have their targets in that
format so I didn't go to higher dpi).

Photoshop softproofing works fine with these profiles and I don't see any
difference between what is on my calibrated monitor and what comes out of my
printer.

I can't offer any solution to your profile preparation given I don't do the
calibration step.  One thing you might do is compare your Argyll profile
with the available profile from the manufacturer of the paper you are trying
to profile.  I've found that for the papers I print on the Argyll profiles
are better than those available from the manufacturers website.

Alan