[argyllcms] Create RGB printer .ICM to use in Photoshop CS5

  • From: Wim Hertog <nertog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 00:37:30 +0200

Hi all,

I'm not new to argyll, but I'm quite new to the printer section of it. I'm struggling a bit to create a normal icc profile for my canon i9900. I'm using Photoshop CS5 to softproof and print my images. My workflow for a "trial profile":

-> calibration
- Create CMY + grey step-wedge target for RGB printer
- Print target to 300 DPI 16 bitt TIFF
- Print on printer using the Adobe printing utility that disables all color management
- read target
- create .cal file

-> Profiling
- Create full target for RGB printer
- Print target applying the earlier made calibration (K flag)
- Print on printer using the Adobe printing utility that disables all color management
- read target
- Generate ICM file using colprof

-> Linking both
- Add .cal file to the ICM file

I'm not really used to this workflow as other profiling packages (PM5 etc) create an icc profile that has these correction curves included. Or am I missing something?

Now, the above workflow results in some strange outcomes: the colours of the softproof in photoshop are completely off (the same happens when I convert to above generated icc file). The image prints ok (ok doesn't mean as good as I want though), nothing like the softproof shows. However, when I don't add the .cal file to the icm (last step), the softproof is perfect but the actual printed image is horribly wrong.

I have the feeling I'm somehow applying the profile twice or so. Could someone push me in the right direction? A basic workflow example of how to generate a fully functional profile to use in Photoshop that shows the softproof correclty and prints correctly would be very very welcome.

Many thanks,
Wim