[aravis] Re: Aravis 0.2.0 in sight

  • From: John Stowers <john.stowers.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aravis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 14:17:48 +0200

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Emmanuel Pacaud <emmanuel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le vendredi 10 août 2012 à 13:36 +0200, John Stowers a écrit :
>> >
>> > No complains from me, but a couple of feature requests:
>> > * Setting the camera packet size based on the MTU of the network interface
>> > it is connected to
>>
>> Agree-ish, although picking an MTU based on the MTU of the attached
>> interface can be just as fragile if you have switches in the middle that
>> do not handle jumbo frames.
>>
>> I would like this to be explicit, rather than invisible and automatic.
>>
>> Something like a gobject construction parameter, where the default is
>> 1400, and -ve numbers or zero mean "determine automatically".
>
> It's already possible to set the packet size, why would you add another
> way to set it up ?

It's not really important, it would only save a line of code (see the example).

However GObject construction properties at the more friendly to
language bindings than setters/getters (python at least).

> The interface MTU check is interesting though, it's just I've yet to
> find a way to reliably know which it the interface used for the video
> stream.

Yeah, I had trouble with this too. I force the interface

https://github.com/motmot/libcamiface/blob/master/src/cam_iface_aravis.c#L650

but i'm not sure it works yet. I do it indirectly by keeping cameras
on different subnets too.

I think making MTU automatic could be confusing for the reasons I
mentioned. 1400 should always work, anything larger and you are at the
whim of the devices between your interface and the camera.

AFAIR the basler and avt windows tools do not do anything smart with
auto MTU sizing.

John