[aravis] Re: Aravis 0.2.0 in sight

  • From: John Stowers <john.stowers.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aravis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 15:18:31 +0200

On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 12:56 +0000, tom.cobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > * Connecting to a camera that is not on the same subnet as the host
> > by using its IP address
> >
> > I do not understand what you mean by this second point. Can you please
> > explain?
>
> Other manufacturer's libraries (like AVT's PvAPI) allow you to specify camera
> by some identifier, or MAC address, or IP address. Aravis has the first 2 of
> these, but not the last. For the first two to work, the camera must be on the
> same subnet as the host so that it is broadcastable. Unfortunately, we have a
> requirement to talk to cameras that are routable, but not on the same subnet
> as the host. This means that they are not reachable with the standard
> broadcast method. The other useful thing about addressing by IP address is it
> allows you to replace a faulty camera by changing the camera settings rather
> than changing the software...

Oh, that is already supported (I added it / exposed it for the last
point release).

You can construct arv_gv_devices manually using arv_gv_device_new and
then pass that to a new arvcamera in the constructor.

I am running this way to manage our multi camera setup. For efficiency I
distribute cameras across multiple physical interfaces to maximize
bandwidth (hence why arv_device_new takes a device address too).

I then manage camera assignment and mapping to interfaces via the DHCP
address.

I guess adding an easier API for opening via IP address could be added
at the camera level.

John