[aravis] Re: Aravis 0.2.0 in sight

  • From: <tom.cobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <aravis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 12:56:57 +0000

> > * Connecting to a camera that is not on the same subnet as the host
> by using its IP address
>
> I do not understand what you mean by this second point. Can you please
> explain?

Other manufacturer's libraries (like AVT's PvAPI) allow you to specify camera
by some identifier, or MAC address, or IP address. Aravis has the first 2 of
these, but not the last. For the first two to work, the camera must be on the
same subnet as the host so that it is broadcastable. Unfortunately, we have a
requirement to talk to cameras that are routable, but not on the same subnet as
the host. This means that they are not reachable with the standard broadcast
method. The other useful thing about addressing by IP address is it allows you
to replace a faulty camera by changing the camera settings rather than changing
the software...

Thanks,
Tom