[HG-PBEM] Re: Starting a new lap

  • From: "Dennis D. Kirkpatrick" <dkirkpat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 15:49:21 -0600 (MDT)

"Uh, where should I be?" Billy asked, sounding unsure of himself.

Glancing at his rearward sensors to verify that his squadmates were in
formation, Shamus slowed down slightly, so as to avoid putting too much
distance between his escort and himself.  "Just think of this as a
high-speed pursuit, Juliette.  You did stuff like that in Saragossa,
right?

"I did," Juliette said with a smile, still increasing speed and already
lining up a shot with her paratroop rifle.

Keavy's the main suspect and Jory and Billy are her accomplices.  Take her
out and we win --or at least prevent THEM from winning-- but you've gotta
make sure you don't get done in by her partners-in-crime."

"Got it," the woman answered curtly, focusing on her sporting weapons
suite as the track flashed past outside her cockpit. It wouldn't be long
before they were out of the no-fire zone.

"I was wondering if we'd see Silas out in a Gear." Keavy said as she armed
her own weapons suite.  "I'm really curious about this 'Style' that he
mentioned.  You'll have to fill me in later Jory.  I guess our plan is
simple enough.  Keavy charges ahead with Jory and Billy watching her back.
Keep Silas and Juliette off me and I'll see what I can do with Fastlane.
I have a feeling that Silas wants to test my rear armor plating."

By this time, the whole team slipped into the large tunnel that cut
through the Oasis Tower. Series of off and on ramps lined the sides
leading to the Pits. Moving through the tunnel at high-speed, the combined
roar of their V-engines reverberated loudly.

As the Cheetah sped up, Keavy scrolled through her armaments.  Even though
this little competition was just for fun, she was not familiar with the
racing styles of anyone else on the team, except for possibly Shamus but
even that could have changed. Keavy decided to start with her twin
vibrorapiers.  She activated one of her show off macros and the Cheetah
drew the blades with a flourish.  "I need some racing music." she said to
herself as she noted the target ranges for the gears nearest to her.  "I
hope Rohgen finds a decent stereo."

Keavy's musings are interrupted as the teams radios cracked to life.
"Sorry to interrupt," Terry said quickly, "But it sounds like Rhogen's
team is under attack. Laser targeting and the like. We're calling the
Trasher Queen to see if they're there and asking them to send help if they
are."

[...]

All the Gears emerged from the tunnel with a thunderous roar. Keavy had
now passed Shamus with Billy close behind as Jory took the tail. Silas and
Juliette remained in eschelon formation with Shamus in the lead.

Shamus spoke aloud over the comm. "Juliette, you'll be Red Two. I'll take
Red One. Shamus, that makes you Red Three. Keavy, I'd suggest you
designate a unit sequence for your team as well."

[...]

By this point, the teams had remained neck and neck, nearly half through
the first stretch of track. Keavy and Billy's Gear were both much faster
than Jory's creating a small gap between Billy and Jory. Smiling to
himself, Silas barked. "Red Two, spread the net!" With that silas shifted
his Gear left, moving in front of Jory.

"Damn you, Silas," Jory called out as she threw her Gear past the redline
and swept right trying to slip between Silas and Juliette.

"Juliette, close the gap!" Silas called out.

[...]

[GM: Juliette rolled an 8 vs. Jory's 6 on combat initiative. It's your
move John. We are still in the no combat zone, BTW. Of course, maybe the
-2 score penalty would be worth it here. <grin> It your move. Everyone
else, just lead into your moves into the banked turn. If you intend a move
against anyone else to cut them off or the like, just leave your text to a
proper point before your intended move and in brackets let me know what
you intend to do. Griz, you can tell Jory and billy what to do as wel, but
I'll roleplay them. When your decision is posted, I'll roll initiative and
against the appropriate skill, namely gunnery or piloting. If you have
something super special that you want to keep hidden from another PC
opponent, just send me a [Private] email. OK? OK.]

[Tracking Info --
http://www.bluething.org/overdrive/track_kad_bulwark1000.html

Track Segment# 2
1 Keavy (Blue/Runner)