[HG-PBEM] Re: Starting a new lap

  • From: "John Guilfoyle" <john.guilfoyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 22:59:24 -0600

> > Silas' voice cut in over the comm. "Well, I hope that ends up being the
> > truth, Diggs." The trainer grunted as if he was adjusting something. "OK,
> > folks. You're on your own now. I'll be watching over you, but remember,
> > we've got Terry's time challenge to beat."

Juliette and Jory roared down the track, bringing up the rear in their heavier
gears. Going off the ramp in one-two fashion, they each cleared the gap,
landed expertly and accelerating to catch their fellows. It was the largest
jump Lemanz had even made -- or attempted -- in a gear, but leaping over
obstacles in the urban environment she was familiar with was a common
occurance. This didn't seem much different than leaping a median or lane of
bumper-to-bumper traffic. Doing //that// had raised some eyebrows.

> The first lap was almost done and Keavy decided that it was time for some
> trash talk.  "Hey Fastlane.  I hope that you enjoyed that lead that I gave
> you.  Since Silas has let us off the leash, I am afraid that I'm going to
> have to take it back now."

"Shut up and drive, kid," Shamus snarled.  He was fast losing patience
despite himself.  He was getting back into the feel of racing, but piloting
an underpowered Iguana was throwing him off.

With her throttle wide open, Juliette watched as the lead gears continued to
pull away. "Come on, Felix," she coaxed quietly. "I want Terry to have to
barbeque for me as well."