[APAworks] Re: (Fwd) About CORE

  • From: "Dennis D. Kirkpatrick" <dkirkpat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 09:04:14 -0600 (MDT)

> It's a profoundly stupid one.

I would tend to disagree. There are no stupid questions here; only one's
that will receive a healthy dose of heckling followed by a virtual tarring
and feathering. ^_^

> Here's a simple test you can perform:  do you own the rights to those
> images? If not, then have you secured the right to publish them? If
> not, then it is not legal for you to publish them, pure and simple.
> Whether you scrounged them from a site that's legitimately publishing
> them or from some hack site that isn't, if you don't have the right to
> publish them, then you don't have the right to publish them.
>
> And doing otherwise unnecessarily jeopardizes me and the rest of this
> organization, but especially Dennis, and he'd be a god damned fool to
> publish them.

Here is what I would do. You should seek permission. If you can contact the
publisher or author of the work, then that shouldn't be too hard. //Sell//
that you are submitting their work alongside your own for a
//nonrevenue-generating venue// and that you will properly cite their work
according to the standard rules of citation. (including any other
requirements that they may stipulate.) You can find those rules in any
Theses and Dissertation Manual. Here is one that is generally accepted and
readily available.

A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations (Chicago
Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing) ISBN: 0226816273; 6th Rev
edition (March 1996)

Also, is there a citation or copyright stipulation within the source that
you captured the artwork from? (i.e. Book copyright, Internet copyright,
Disclaimer for keeping copies.) If not and you can't contact the author or
publisher for permission, I believe that their are provisions for properly
citing another's artwork without permission to publish. However, as Chris
alluded to, the cited source must be the original source/author/publisher,
not a hack site or the like. Where and from whom did the artwork originate?
That is important!

I'll double check on all this. Barring any changes based on my research, if
you can determine and supply all that, then I will publish the artwork
alongside your submission.

Thanks. Later.
--
Dennis D. Kirkpatrick