[amayausers.com] Re: thread breaks

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 03:12:00 UT

This message was posted by Judy on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/669.html#000001

Hi Mary.  My list of stuf to check is:

A)   Bobbin case - I have one that has a shorter backlash spring than others,
and when I use it by accident, I pay the penalty of thread breaks.
B)   Hooping - is it loose in the hoop?  Another favorite cause of headaches
C)   Needles - put in facing squarely front? Check by using a beading needle
(VERY thin needle available at the local fabric store). Insert in into the eye
of the Amaya needle. It will probably stick in the opening. Slowly release and
see if it is pointing straight at you, or just a HAIR to the right.
D)   Watch it sewing.  Is the thread REALLY loose on the tension bar?  If so,
could be a problem with actifeed...of which I know nothing
E)   Check the thread feed.  Is it going directly down that tiny little groove?
F)   Check the pinch roller and acti-feed roller.  Are they both in good shape,
no grooves, no build up of assorted stuff?
G)   How's the humidity in your room?  If it's dry, it can lead to static. I
keep fabric softener sheets around, and when everything else on this list is
okay, I hold one against the pinch roller as it is running. Gets some
anti-static stuff onto the roller and helps with thread breaks.  I also rub it
against the surface of the hooped item before I start the machine.
H)   Hoop arms - you'd probably notice if the screws were loose (by Friday mine
always are, and it's not necessarily the machines that I am referencing...!!).
Check the screws to be certain they are tight enough.
I)   Bobbins - did you get a bad box or bad batch? It's amazing what a bad
bobbin can cause.
J)   Baseball bat/Golf club -- is one readily visible in the corner?
Intimidation is sometimes a major factor in getting The Beast to work correctly.
K)   Bounce check -- when all else fails, stand on one foot, bounce up and down
while whistling Yankee Doodle and waving pompoms.  Your machine will laugh so
much it will forget to break threads.

HTH,
Judy