[amayausers.com] Re: Sewing on Leather

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 04:37:38 UT

This message was posted by sschroed2 on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/845.html#000006

Blair,
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I've been off line most of the day.

As for density,  I Never use 3, but use 4 a lot.  I just finished doing a
design that had 19,000 stitches in a 3 1/2 inch diameter.  This was on vinyl.
Vinyl stretches a lot so I had to do layers of fill with high density numbers
as if they were underlay and then a fill at 4.8 to get the coverage I needed.
The material had so much push and stretch that it had to be sewn all in one
direction and I couldn't get underlay to do that. I'm not the smartest at this,
only been doing it a little over 2 years now.  But I generally can figure out a
way to accomplish what I need.

The Leather I've worked with doesn't stretch so it's much easier to work with
than the vinyl, but not everyone can afford leather auto interiors even in the
classic car group which is what I do a lot.

If I can be of further help I'd be happy to share what info I have.  You can
contact me directly at sschroed2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  I'm located in So Calif.
Sue

I've had leather designs I did that were up to around 30,000 stitches + in an
11 x 14 rectangle plastic hoop.  I use this hoop a lot because I don't have to
change the hoop arms like you do for the large wooden hoops, and most things I
do fit in it or the 15, 18 or 22 round hoops.  I use these more than anything
else.