[amayausers.com] Re: Sewing on Leather

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:19:28 UT

This message was posted by sschroed2 on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/845.html#000003

I sew leather frequently, and allways hoop it.  It's true that a needle
penetration leaves a permanent hole so be sure to move to the position of your
first stitch to check for pressure foot height.  This will insure that you will
not make a hole where you don't want one.

There are different grade/quality of leather, the only one I won't sew on is
the cheap color treated ones.  You can check by placing a piece of masking tape
on the leather and pulling it off.  If the color comes of, I'd suggest not
sewing on it.  The reason being is sometimes the leather pieces I get to sew
require me to cut oversized backing and tape the leather edges to the backing
in order to hoop with the appropriate size to fit the design.  A light steaming
of a steamer will remove the hoop ring.  I have sewn some pretty dense designs,
I use 75/11 titanimum sharp needles.

I work with several custom automotive interior business and have only had a
problem when the Amaya Xt machine had a failure.  Find an upholstery or auto
interior business and tell them what you do, ask if they have scrap pieces of
leather that they might be willing to give or sell to you.  You may even get
some business out of them once they know you do embroidery work.