[amayausers.com] Re: Amaya XT goes off the air

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 13:32:31 -0400

We have had one PC dedicated to our Amaya since day 1 over 3 years ago and not

even a printer hooked up to it.
No internet, nothing!
Not a virus attack ever...and we've upgraded the program only to DesignShop 6
and (I don't know how ) Amaya OS 7.
Not sure why Amaya upgrade isn't the same-already found that if we save a design
in Amaya OS, we cannot open it in Design shop-wrong version! Go figure.
But with Big Red not being an XT, the upgrades are useless. It does everything we ask
it to or we know how to make it do...and that's fine.
I had the ram upgraded when we had the computer setup for Amaya, and after the first couple of Design Shop upgrades realized fast that every program upgrade ALSO required more ram-something the techs don't tell you but it's true...so last time we upgraded we doubled the ram and have none of the 'bugs' we were running into since then. My recommendations-whatever the melco techs tell you to get for RAM, go for a minimum of double that, or even more. If they say between 500 and 1000 meg ram, for for 2 gig
and you will not regret it. Ram is so cheap now it's worth it.
Then every couple of months run the 'defrag' program and let the computer clean itself out. Back up your files to a separate hard drive (we have dual hard drives IN the computer case so customer files are stored on the B drive anyways. ) that way if the 'program' craps out and kills the computer-the stored files aren't touched at all-the drive will plug into another system,
again, as extra storage.
No kids programs, no video, no internet...not worth the chance of a virus! AND no 'screensaver' or anti virus running-as someone else mentioned, this can cause problems. I'm pretty sure something in the papework with Design Shop tells you to 'disable' all that stuff
when loading anyways.
Computers are so cheap now-it's worth buying your own 'dedicated' computer to run the Amaya. After all-if something attacks your system-because you didn't want to spend $599 for a new Dell or something-how much business are you going to lose for the next couple of days while you try and find the problem and reload everything?
Get the kids their own computer to mess up....LOL
and keep the business stuff locked in the office.

Roland