[access-uk] Re: e: Re: Zoomtext users

  • From: "Justin R" <mypc128@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:24:00 +0100

  From: Ray's Home

  >Hope its not being suggested that I believe ZoomText is an adequate 'screen
reader.'  I did say within my post that it defintely isn't.

  That's right Ray, it's no match for, and not meant to be, win eyes and jaws.
However, it's pretty powerful and capable for what in its funcionality and does
me fine.  Well. apart from text fields in in a webpage.  Given the
magnification for me is so high, I don't see each title for each text field so,
it's a pain moving the magnfiying view back to read it, and forth to start
typing.  Otherwise, I think the screen reader just may do a little more than is
needed.  It's swings and round abouts at the end of the day.

  >Who ever refered to useing 3x 4x magnification has my agreement in this.
Any more than that and you start losing too much >screen area as well as
context, always a problem with magnification.  Well, that's what I think.

  Yep, you can say that again as a zt users that needs magnification at 8x 10x
at the most, largely depending on the gui interface, webpage I'm looking at.  I
could do with reducing it to 7x, 6x etc but, I see much less detail and
actually what's what on screen.  By having zt at 8x 10x, it can see in each
screan portion what is what and roughly which direction the mouse needs to be
moved to where I need to go and yet, very little perspective, confusion some of
the time and, I can get a little lost on screan, lol.  I can't win, lol.

  >On the subject of training, I never had any of that, and I doubt if I'm any
the worse for it.  I am well aware though that many prefer >to have it because
either they are not enough into computers and learning how to use them, or else
they simply haven't the time, >and I respect that.

  I'd probably would have liked a bit of training just for the purposes of
work, getting into work and being able to demonstrate a complete command of zt.
 However, I feel it's a case of using the hotkeys and fixes enough times for it
to become a habit.  It takes a lot of time to really get to know you're access
technology.  I really must get to grips with zt more than I am doing now.  Not
doing a bad job at all but, I can see plenty of room for improvement for me
<smile>.

  >Also, in reply to a comment Justin made on this thread, I can quite see that
we all become more or less conservative in the way >we access computers.  Think
a lot depends on early effort put into learning and looking out for others
experience and >comments.  That's so much easier now that we have lists like
this one.

  Indeed it is and I feel learning from others and even training one 2 one with
say... a jaws user can make all the difference.  For me personally, it would
likely alliviate the fear of using access technology that requires no visual
use of the monitor in any way.

  all the best,

  Justin

  Ray