[access-uk] Re: dead laptop - your help needed

  • From: "Rays Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:12:02 +0100

Phil, maybe too obvious, but is there a CD in the CD drive, or possibly a flash card in a slot? If so then the laptop could be trying to boot from these, with a non-bootable source.

I've done this on this audio machine of mine occasionally and a retry message comes up, which fortunately I can see.

Anyway, if this isn't the cause, then hope you get it sorted soon.

Cheers,
Ray.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Stephenson" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [access-uk] Re: dead laptop - your help needed

Hi Peter,

This sounds very helpful but the problem is the laptop isn't getting that
far, I don't think it's even booting up very far, yes it will switch on and the fan starts running and hard drive whirs a bit but that's it, no further,
and I am pretty sure from what I can tell with my limited vision that the
screen is dark and is not on the nice bright desktop...I suspect I'm just
going to have put it to bed and leave it until sighted assistance is
around....aarrrggghhh!

The question is when did I last do a backup!!!  Thankfully around a couple
of weeks ago I think!

Thanks anyway,

Phil