[access-uk] Re: brain port question

  • From: "Damon Rose" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:14:02 -0000

Goodness knows. How about a vibrating insole in your shoe? After all, we
already pick up tactile information that way with blister paving and the
like. You could spread information from left foot to right foot
depending on where obstacles are.

I had a quick go with a bat cane once but felt my own echo location was
better and I didn't need to do any on-the-fly interpreting of sounds.
Depending on the gadget, there's also a big worry that I'll look like a
bit of a prat. There's no way I'll be wearing anything or moving
differently in order to play with a gizmo.

I think the way forward is electronic mapping of areas. So, at
Paddington station, I'd tap into my mobile phone that I want to go to
platform 10 and it creates a virtual line through the air, a piece of
invisible electronic string slung across some coordinates, which I then
follow either by use of a tone which tells me whether I'm warm or cold,
or by a vibration. The more it vibrates, the closer to the line that I
have to follow, I am.