[access-uk] Re: brain port question

  • From: "ari" <aridamoulakis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:14:27 +0200

Hi Peter
I've seen the VOICE, but I think a lot of the problem is that for a person like me who maybe doesn't have access to people who could sort of help offer training to get used to many of these technologies is also the drawback. A lot of research in trying to help blind people use these things takes place in the States or Europe, not in South Africa and when you download it independently, I don't really think you can really understand how to use it to its full potential, or really know what to expect from it. I myself don't yet have a good enough mobile, but I saw it on my friend's one and from the bit I saw it looked ok. The thing is that you'd still need a cane or dog no matter what because half of these devices can't detect things like stairs and things like that. I also tried a K Sonar
www.batfortheblind.com
but again it irritated me more than actually helping because I didn't know how I was supposed to properly interpret the feedback I was getting from all these sounds and what these different sounds sort of meant. I think as Damon says things that offer some other type of feedback instead of sound patterns maybe a better deal, because I mean with traffic and all the hussle, speaking for myself, I really can't consentrate on trying to listen properly to sounds like that. Here's quite a good one, although I don't know what happened to it, but I heard of a guy who wanted to build a robotic kind of guidedog which would also use gps navigation. If that robot could be like made 100% reliable to not get you run over or any other harm that might be a cool thing I'd get. Ari