[access-uk] Re: brain port question

  • From: Peter Meijer <feedback@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 10:35:14 +0100

Thanks Damon,

I understand that you and others focus more on the direct practical uses
of any new tools. My focus is on providing raw visual information, much
like with the BrainPort device, yet there can be extras like the color
identifier that I mentioned, while for instance The vOICe for Android
nowadays includes usage of GPS and Google Maps to announce nearby streets
and intersections through speech, and also adds basic compass directions
through speech. It is certainly not a full navigation service, because for
that one had better use more dedicated software like until recently there
was Wayfinder Access for Nokia phones. Also, Google Android itself is not
fully accessible yet, so this is an ongoing development.

Best regards,

Peter

The vOICe for Android
http://www.seeingwithsound.com/android.htm

Damon Rose wrote:
Goodness knows. How about a vibrating insole in your shoe? After all, we
already pick up tactile information that way with blister paving and the
like. You could spread information from left foot to right foot
depending on where obstacles are.

I had a quick go with a bat cane once but felt my own echo location was
better and I didn't need to do any on-the-fly interpreting of sounds.
Depending on the gadget, there's also a big worry that I'll look like a
bit of a prat. There's no way I'll be wearing anything or moving
differently in order to play with a gizmo.

I think the way forward is electronic mapping of areas. So, at
Paddington station, I'd tap into my mobile phone that I want to go to
platform 10 and it creates a virtual line through the air, a piece of
invisible electronic string slung across some coordinates, which I then
follow either by use of a tone which tells me whether I'm warm or cold,
or by a vibration. The more it vibrates, the closer to the line that I
have to follow, I am.