[access-uk] Re: What podcasts, streams and radio do blind users here listen to?

  • From: "Barry Toner" <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:34:46 -0000

Hi Jonathan,

Regarding Gordons point...

As you are still in the process of developing a product and we rearely get
to actually speak to people while they are still in the R&D stages...

Gordon's reaction is quite common.  In fact I think it's refreshing to see
an old soldier such as himself come out and say something that many of us
younger and often thought Techy types shout when we see Fisher price looking
products trundled out from the likes of RNIB, Cobolt etc.  Yes, you might
argue that we are tech savvy and I can see this to an extent.

The 1 thing we all have in common on say this list is that from the Power
user to the Beginner we have managed to

get a computer,
a piece of adaptive technology
email system of some type
Subscribe to this list
read and post to it.

It's not just aesthetics, it is about limititing choice on the products
features.  Essentially going to a lower level within an already marginlised
market.

Here's a very frank question...  Is it cost that prevents someone, (say in
your position ),offering the extra features that some may want but hiding
them from the perceived target audience?

I ask this because while I acknowledge there is a large older generation out
there I do not believe that the majority of them given the choice would not
want to use technology such as a computer to a degree if it gave them
entertainment/independence.

Why for example do we presume that because Older Person X who happens to
have some level of sight loss is any different than Older person Y who has
no sight loss but manages to push past the fear of something new at an older
age.  Then email their granchild who's in college say in the US?

Sureley it wouldn't be that difficult to add a number of keystrokes to
change from say Basic to Advanced modes/views?

Sorry am in a rush and didnt' have time to tidy this mail up!

barry