[access-uk] Re: What podcasts, streams and radio do blind users here listen to?

  • From: Jonathan <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 17:58:12 +0000

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Gordon Keen <gordonkeen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> So often organisations assume that choice should be restricted to what they
> think is what the consumer wants rather than making the consumer aware of
> what is available and then offering the training to allow them to use it.

You've hit the nail on the head there, Gordon. Which is precisely why I'm
taking the time to ask these types of questions. Rather than saying "here's
the (often overpriced) product, like it", I've spoken to blind groups from
different countries, and have enough fact sheets and product design
guidelines from groups like RNIB to break an intray. But only by asking
questions like "what do YOU listen to?", can I  mix not only the
demographics that I already have from the target age group, but also from
blind listeners of all age groups. So when I talked to my local blind
association, their listening preferences were very different to this group,
but it all goes into the mix of offerings.

> But as you have likely guessed I'm not going to be one of your target
> consumers - ever.

Which is fortunate because it's not a publicly available device or service.