[access-uk] Re: What podcasts, streams and radio do blind users here listen to?

  • From: Jonathan <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 19:39:45 +0000

Iain Lackie wrote:

> As people hear about podcasts and streams, I suspect they will quickly become
> frustrated at a limited choice.

A good point. Which is why the key words in the original post were "a
certain amount of pre-configured streams and stations *in addition to*
its regular functionality".

There's nothing to say the user has to stick with those streams or
can't delete or change them. Of the target audience, given the choice
of "would you like a starter selection of preconfigured stations and
streams from a wide selection like book of the month, BBC listen again
and RNIB radio, or un-programmed buttons", all opted for the former.

Which is why I'd like to focus more on the topic question. Although
peripheral comments like yours ARE appreciated, without sounding rude,
other comments like "I'd rather be shipped off to a suicide clinic
than buy such a product" aren't really helpful or productive.

For example, I have my own personal views of certain Apple fanatics
who'll buy anything with an Apple logo and a £200 premium slapped on
it. However, Apple provide a choice just as Linux provides a choice
and if someone said "Can you recommend some good screen reader
software for my Mac", I'd offer an opinion on screen reader software
that I knew of, not their choice of hardware.

That's how we help each other better.