[access-uk] Re: Virgin trains access to their restaurant menus

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:17:04 -0000

Hang on Derek while I climb onto the picnic basket again ... ah that's better!

I don't think it is right for a train to be packed out with people and luggage strewn everywhere, only to go into a compartment next door and sit virtually anywhere because it is bloody first class. Sorry but no way.

Last summer, we went away for a few days, and when we got on the train coming home on the final leg of our journey, it was a First Scotrail service from Edinburgh, where we boarded, to Aberdeen. It was packed to bursting, and there were no seats to be had in standard accommodation. I couldn't stand for 45 minutes, so I sat on the floor by the door. I know now it was the worst thing I could have done, because when we reached Kirkcaldy, I couldn't get up. So I waited for the doors to open beside me and I swivelled round, stuck my legs out, and climbed down off the train with my husband and son there to help. The rest is history, but suffice it to say I collapsed with my back a few days after that, and I know it was the bumping about on the floor of the train that did for me because I couldn't get a seat.

I think it is awful when you go to a station and they talk about first class being at the front and standard at the rear etc. Makes you sound like a herd of cattle. I don't like it, never have, and never will. This country is too class conscious, it's damn right snobbery. Take our clothes off and we're all the same in various shapes and sizes.

Ooh! I must get off this basket now because it's starting to buckle!! (having a good laugh).

Jackie
----- Original Message ----- From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>