[access-uk] Re: Using Pop3 Email away from home

  • From: Jonathan H <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 13:02:14 +0100

Just a warning that you should not change your outgoing SMTP server from
whatever your mail provider had set.

This might be a bit technical from this point on...

You need to authenticate to send mail these days; any "open relay" as they
are called is almost certain to be blacklisted.
Even if you manage to find one at the hotel or another ISP that will let
you use it rather than the correct one for BT Internet, your email is
extremely unlikely to be delivered, and even if it is, it will almost
certainly end up in the recipients spam folder.

Many many years ago, things were different, but almost all services now use
SPF and DKIM to tell whether an email is spoofed or genuine.
When you send an email

Here's a test: send a blank email to check-auth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - it
will send something back.

If any of the first four item in the list are "fail" rather than "pass" or
"neutral", there's a fairly good chance your email is misconfigured and
will be being flagged as spam or not delivered in many cases.

What you SHOULD do however, as a matter of urgency, is ensure that your
outgoing SMTP ports for BT Internet are set to SSL and port 465 otherwise
you leave yourself open to hackery.
More info here:
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/~/bt-email%3A-what-are-the-settings-for-outgoing-and-incoming-mail-servers%3F