[access-uk] Re: Service Providers

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:41:37 -0000

Hi Donna,

I don't have personal experience of WinMX, but suffice to
say that anything which requires to contact your system,
normally requires that you have a fixed IP address.

Think of it like a telephone number.  You can use your
telephone to call people and exchange information with
whoever you call.  However, if nobody knows what your
telephone number is, they cannot call you.

The problem with "Dynamic" IP addresses is that they can
change, so what you have today, might be different from what
you have next time you connect to your ISP.

George.