[access-uk] Re: Omnipage.

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:31:38 +0100

Seem to recall Mandy saying she'd go with a much cheaper option such as
Omnipage, but in case I've not remembered that propperly and she, and anyone
else is still looking around, then one place to start is RNIB's fact sheet
What is a Reading Aid?  Yes, I know you know what a reading aid is, but
anyway the link is:

http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/PublicWebsite/public_r
eadingaidsinfosheet.hcsp

You will find Kurzweil 1000 listed there with many other solutions, not all
of them to do with scanning print.  K1000 - up to version 10 now I think -
does a great deal more than scanning and is self-voicing. Price at RNIB and
seems elswhere is ?695, so you were ?100 out.
Now, to start the moderators and others twiching, I'll mention the US price
is $995 which works out at 525 uk pounds.  So RNIB and the rest make a gross
(in the technical sense) ?170 off the sale of K1000 - though what the net
profit would be is rather down to how they do their sums.  Accountants like
lawyers can prove what they set out to prove.

Can't help wondering if, with the exchange rate approaching $2 to the pound
whether we are going to see an increase in software smuggling partiicularly
and even desirable hardwarefor that matter.  Wouldn't it make a good In
Touch feature for them to interview someone in klink for trying to get their
hands on access gear at American prices?

Yes, I know, business is business, before someone else says it.  RNIB seems
to have come to that conclusion too.  You thought it was a charity?

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx