[access-uk] Re: Internet service providers

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 13:14:02 -0000

Hi Derek.

I strongly suggest you look at broadband again, not only is the connection more reliable but there are packages for light users like yourself. Dialup access is actually more expensive now than the cheapest broadband packages because of the local rate telephone calls you have to make being charged by the minute, plus the speed of course means that things take longer to accomplish. I sometimes hark back to the time when web pages were small enough to be delivered in seconds over a dialup connection, however as faster connectivity options are now available and more commonly used, web page sizes have ballooned as well, meaning that dialup is now not even an efficient way of browsing the internet's most basic content like news and for online shopping etc. Can I urge you to at least look at broadband, even mobile broadband can be better value and you don't need to be tied to a phone line. If you must use dialup, you should try something like On Speed which compresses traffic as it is sent and received, in theory increasing the performance of your internet connection.

All the best, Ibrahim.

-----Original Message----- From: Derek Hornby
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 12:10 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Internet service providers

Hi  All
I am maybe only one on  list that  still uses Dial-up  access
Well it meets my needs.

Anyway,  I  am having a problem that when I try to Download mail
it keeps  stopping  too soon.

BT says  and I quote:

"You are under absolutely no pressure to have broadband
from BT. Moving to another provider for your line wont
take away these issues-it's all the same network which, is owned
by BT Openreach."

Is BT correct to  suggest that  being cut of  from a servier,
Would still  happen  no matter which ISP I am with.

Regards,  Derek