[access-uk] Re: Freedom Box.

  • From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:41:27 -0000

Hi

Yes I've heard a few reviews of the Freedom Box as well and it doesn't sound too bad, although I'm a bit concerned about this new 'screen reader' idea in some respects. I'm sure we've all had experience with employers and other sighted people, where they don't understand that we need what we could call a 'full screen reader' in employment settings. "Oh well, it's reading, that's all you need isn't it? I'm sure you can rearrange the columns of text in your head with a bit of practice."

From listening to Jonathan's review of Freedom Box System Access, it seems to be a bit of an 'in between' programme that is better than narrater but not as good as something like JAWS or window-eyes. I suppose you can't blame Freedom Box for marketting this as an alternative screen reading solution, but I think there website should be far clearer on what the limitations are. I can see very few situations where System Access as it stands would be adequate in an educational or employmetn setting.

James
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>