From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 6:41 PM
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Freedom Box.

Hi

Yes I've heard a few reviews of the Freedom Box as well and it
doesn't sound
too bad, although I'm a bit concerned about this new 'screen
reader' idea in
some respects.  I'm sure we've all had experience with employers
and other
sighted people, where they don't understand that we need what we
could call
a 'full screen reader' in employment settings.  "Oh well, it's
reading,
that's all you need isn't it?  I'm sure you can rearrange the
columns of
text in your head with a bit of practice."

From listening to Jonathan's review of Freedom Box System Access,
it seems
to be a bit of an 'in between' programme that is better than
narrater but
not as good as something like JAWS or window-eyes.  I suppose you
can't
blame Freedom Box for marketting this as an alternative screen
reading
solution, but I think there website should be far clearer on what
the
limitations are.  I can see very few situations where System
Access as it
stands would be adequate in an educational or employmetn setting.

James