[access-uk] Re: Freedom Box.

Surely that's an assertiveness issue James, it would be better suited on VIGEN ACCESS perhaps?

Colin

----- Original Message ----- From: "James O'Dell" <jamesodell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 8:21 PM
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Freedom Box.

I think you are completely correct, but if we look at complimenting rather then substituting, I think the empowerment it offers is tremendous.

Yes, we as visually impaired people might look at complementing rather than substituting, but my main concern is the attitude of employers/educaters. This comes from bitter experience. When I was still at school they thought that all I needed was a basic freeware text reader that reads what you type into its own window when you press a 'speak' button. So many sighted people, even those who are supposed to be managing IT systems and so on, don't understand what we as visually impaired people need to access computers properly and efficiently.

Another thought - it's a bit irritating that System Access is only available to those who decide to subscribe to the Freedom Box Network. I think it would have more of a market if you could buy it for a set price on a USB key and not have any further commitments. As things stand you have to pay for all sorts of web content that you might not want/need to access through their network.