[3ddesktop-dev] Re: Don't get your hopes up buddy :-(

  • From: Calvin Walton <calvin.walton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 3ddesktop-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:42:10 -0400

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:27:36 -0600, Michael Gale
<michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>         If that is the only problem what about changing the binary name ? For
> example I run two instances of bind on a firewall box. So I have taken
> the original binary "named" and:
>
> cp named named-int
> cp named named-ext
>
> Now I start both instances with:
>
> named-int -c /var/named-int/named-int.config
> named-ext -c /var/named-ext/named-ext.config
>
> Could this be done with 3ddesktop ?

No, it doesn't look like this would work :(

3ddesk uses sysv ipc to communicate between the client (3ddesk) and
server (3ddeskd), using the pathname "/bin/sh" and project identifier
"99" in ftok to generate a key.
It also looks like it checks the pid file ( ~/.3ddesktop.pid ) to see
if it's running, and this isn't process name dependant.

I could get around these by comiling a seperate binary with these two
things changed, but that's a pretty ugly hack. I'll have to try it,
and see :)

> Michael.

> Hmm...  This is a really ugly hack, but it might work.  I believe that
> if therre are no instances of 3ddeskd running then 3ddesk will create
> one.  Well, if you could just create a little script that would run
> 3ddesk then (after 3ddesk terminated) kill the 3ddeskd proccess.
>
> Have two scripts.
>       - One for the left monitor
>       - One for the right.
>
> Just at the beginning tell it which display to use,
> Run 3ddesk
> Kill the 3ddeskd process
>
> I don't know if that would work, any comments on this?

It would work, but uless you feel like waiting for 3ddesk --acquire
each time, you won't get textures for the other desktops.

--
Calvin Walton