[3ddesktop-dev] Re: Don't get your hopes up buddy :-(

  • From: Joshua Rogers <joshuarogers@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 3ddesktop-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:06:51 -0500

On Saturday 28 August 2004 07:32 am, Calvin Walton wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:25:08 -0700, Jeff Buck <jeffb@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Doh.. I'm sure I don't know the answer, but what was the question again?
> > I think I nuked it accidentally blasting through my piles of spam.
>
> I was wondering if there was a way to run multiple copies of 3ddesk -
> one for each monitor on a dual-monitor setup that's using multiple X
> "screens" (i.e. no xinerama or twinview)
>
> > The list activity goes up and down a bit, but I think there are still a
> > number of people still on it. I'm sure Brad reads it still, and he's
> > usually very helpful with things. I think the list is just quiet lately
> > because there aren't that many issues or feature requests with 3ddesktop
> > lately.
>
> All right. If I figure it out, I'll post something here.

Hmm...  This is a really ugly hack, but it might work.  I believe that if
therre are no instances of 3ddeskd running then 3ddesk will create one.
Well, if you could just create a little script that would run 3ddesk then
(after 3ddesk terminated) kill the 3ddeskd proccess.

Have two scripts.
        - One for the left monitor
        - One for the right.

Just at the beginning tell it which display to use,
Run 3ddesk
Kill the 3ddeskd process

I don't know if that would work, any comments on this?