[3ddesktop-dev] Re: Don't get your hopes up buddy :-(

  • From: Eric Shattow <shadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 3ddesktop-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:38:08 -0500

Joshua Rogers wrote:

Hmm... This is a really ugly hack, but it might work. I believe that if therre are no instances of 3ddeskd running then 3ddesk will create one. Well, if you could just create a little script that would run 3ddesk then (after 3ddesk terminated) kill the 3ddeskd proccess.

Have two scripts.
        - One for the left monitor
        - One for the right.

Just at the beginning tell it which display to use,
Run 3ddesk
Kill the 3ddeskd process

I don't know if that would work, any comments on this?

You're right about the hack part. Ideally you can modify 3ddeskd to activate on the X display of your choosing.

More important question: Is it a design goal of 3ddesktop's 3ddeskd to monitor multiple X servers? If not, then is it okay to modify 3ddesktop to run with multiple instances?

I don't think Brad ever predicted people would find 3ddesktop more than an amusing program. I personally use it all the time to replace all other methods my WM provides for workspace switching.

3ddesktop has some technical issues on my machine

- messes up other OpenGL apps sometimes (r250, xorg-x11 dri)
- activation doesn't always behave consistently
- not easily integrated with WMs

is there some standard signal for workspace switching, that we can capture and trigger 3ddeskd with?

etc. etc. discuss

-Eric