[zxspectrum] Re: Materiale vario

  • From: Enrico Maria Giordano <e.m.giordano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zxspectrum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 20:05:08 +0100

E questo interessante messaggio:

From - Fri Jan 16 19:48:52 1998
From: Pedro Gimeno <not-my-email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sinclair
Subject: Patch for Heartland to allow successful ending of the game
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 14:15:19 GMT

I don't know who has succeeded in finishing Heartland. I did, but
when I shooted the last evil page the message said the same as if I
died.

I wanted to know if there was something I forgot, but since I had
mapped the full world and found no extra items etc., I suspected it
was a programming error.

I started disassembling the game in search for the place where the
end of game was being reported, and I found that my suspects were
correct. The type of end-of-game is reported in a variable that was
not being written to in the case of successful completion.

The patch was a bit complicated - there was no room for the 3
additional bytes required by the opcode LD (variable),A and Odin's
code was quite optimized at that point. Finally I succeeded, but the
resulting patch is longer than I wish.

Patch:

Search for:
C3 E8 BC 3A F6 B3 FE 06 D8 3A F7 B3 FE 06 D8 3E 04

Replace by:
18 0F 37 3E 05 21 F6 B3 BE D0 23 BE D0 3D 32 41 BE

It is designed so that the parity byte remains unchanged, so the
patch may be applied directly to tape versions of the game.

Hope you enjoy that wonderful game.

Pedro Gimeno
E-mail: pgimeno at iname dot com