[ZeroBrane Studio] Re: best 2D game environment for a youngster?

  • From: Andrew Starks <andrew.starks@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: zerobrane <zerobrane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 10:21:25 -0600

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 11:43 PM, Paul K <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Another advantage of using wifi was that I could run the same script from my
> desktop without even having the mobile device, but the device allowed to
> control the robot autonomously (I had some of them simply running around
> sensing walls with an IR sensor when I presented it at a conference).

Ultimately, the setup that I want to get going (and I don't see any
non-time-related roadblocks to getting there) is:

0: Get ssh set up so that you have a shared/trusted key between host
and robot (I have this done already)
1: rsync (over ssh) local (mac, but also pc) directory with robot's directory.
2: ssh myname@192.168.2.2:~/rsync_dir 'lua currently_selected_file.lua'

or something similar. This setup would mean that I won't have to set
up a share with the robot.

There are soooooo many sub-100 dollar "brains" out there and many of
them are awesome.

Lego Mindstorms is 350. BUT, you get all of those Legos, instructions
for a handful of robots (nice so that they're not making every
decision from scratch) and a graphical environment to play with, if
that makes sense (which it doesn't, for me). It was a much better
"complete product" for my purposes, which is to hook my kids on the
crack that is hacking stuff.

AND, the third party sensors that you buy for legos are the same I2C
sensors that work with everything else, so it's not a black hole.
mindsensors is an awesome site and they support Lego / Arduino / Etc.
If your robot brains has an Arm 8, you're probably good to go, no
matter what.

For my dream of writing my own autopilot system, Beagle Black or
similar is a better choice, for me. But all of them, no matter what,
will work with ZBS, in similar ways.

--Andrew