[ZeroBrane Studio] Re: Docked Search?

  • From: Paul K <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "zerobrane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <zerobrane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 21:12:27 -0800

Hi Andrew,

> You nailed it. Basically, search popping up as its own window is now
"different" and, dare I say, "old". Not that it's terribly bad, but it's
nice to have the screen remain uncluttered.

So, just to confirm, you are suggesting to go with the option 3 and to
extend the command bar to search for the typed text. When you start typing,
the first instance get selected; if the user hits Enter, it stays selected;
if Shift-Enter, all instances get selected.

The list may how more instances of the searched text, but I need to check
how fast it should be.

Another option is not to show any instances, but simply allow F3/Shift-F3
to navigate next/previous instances.

Having search done this way may also solve the issue of searching in the
selected fragment (which is not currently available in the search dialog).
I may need to remove selection, but will remember what it was when the
search started.

Replacement may be done in a similar way: if you type %foo, you get the
list of "foo" instances, but if you type %foo%bar, it will show instances
of "foo" replaced with "bar", and then you can hit Enter to do the
replacement (in this case it would be convenient to see at least several
lines of what's being replaced).

This will require a bit of work, but may end up being quite useful.
Thoughts?

Paul.