[yshavurah] Fwd: MAIL-HAVURAH digest 938

  • From: Clevineys@xxxxxxx
  • To: yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:43:38 EST

Hello All,
It's interesting to see the kinds of issues other Havurahs are struggling
with or thinking about
Cheryl

In a message dated 12/8/2002 8:56:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mail-havurah@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> From: Steve Freides <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [MAIL-HAVURAH:4437] Life Cycle Events Without Clergy?
> Date: Sat,  7 Dec 2002 18:18:08 EST
>
> If one of the children in our recently-started havura wants to have a
> Bar or Bat Mitzvah, is that something we can 'legally', Jewish or
> otherwise, do?  I have enough of a background that, with a bit of work
> on my part, I could teach a child what he needs to know in terms of
> reading Hebrew, etc., but does one need a rabbi to have it be considered
> official in some way?  Is a Bar/Bat Mitzvah really anything other than
> an of-age person reading Torah for the first time and, in that way,
> different from, say, a wedding, which is a ceremony with legal
> implications, both Jewish and otherwise?
>
> We are years away from this as the oldest child in our Havura is only 10
> but the subject has already come up.  None of our members participates
> in a synagogue.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

Cheryl B. Levine, Psy.D.
Clinical and Consulting Psychologist
       Positive Perspectives, Inc.
       680 E. Dayton Yellow Springs Road
       Fairborn, OH  45324
       (937) 390-3800

Behavioral Science Coordinator
       "Mad River Family Practice:
       Ohio State University Rural Program"
       4879 US Route 68 South
       West Liberty, OH  43311
       (937) 465-0080

    And the end of all our exploring
    Will be to arrive where we started
    And know the place for the first time.
              --T.S. Eliot

Date: Mon,  9 Dec 2002 00:00:27 EST
Sender: owner-mail-havurah@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: MAIL-HAVURAH digest 938

                MAIL-HAVURAH Digest 938

Topics covered in this issue include:

  1)  Life Cycle Events Without Clergy?
    by Steve Freides <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Steve Freides <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [MAIL-HAVURAH:4437] Life Cycle Events Without Clergy?
Date: Sat,  7 Dec 2002 18:18:08 EST

If one of the children in our recently-started havura wants to have a
Bar or Bat Mitzvah, is that something we can 'legally', Jewish or
otherwise, do?  I have enough of a background that, with a bit of work
on my part, I could teach a child what he needs to know in terms of
reading Hebrew, etc., but does one need a rabbi to have it be considered
official in some way?  Is a Bar/Bat Mitzvah really anything other than
an of-age person reading Torah for the first time and, in that way,
different from, say, a wedding, which is a ceremony with legal
implications, both Jewish and otherwise?

We are years away from this as the oldest child in our Havura is only 10
but the subject has already come up.  None of our members participates
in a synagogue.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

End of MAIL-HAVURAH Digest 938

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, offering online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

MyJewishLearning.com, The Personal Gateway to Jewish Exploration
Officially launches: http://MyJewishLearning.com/index.htm?source=shamash